What Is Pull Reaming and How Does It Relate to Making a Gun Barrel?
After World War I, the only method used to make a hole in a gun barrel or tube was to deep hole drill it using a gun drilling machine. Since then, barrel manufacturers have developed other methods for drilling holes for specific applications efficiently, and pull reaming is one of them. However, each hole drilling process had to be developed and perfected for various applications. Barrel and tube manufacturers could not efficiently build a machine for each specific use. This would have been far too expensive to achieve and take too much time. That is when companies such as Precihole Machine Tools began to design and develop machine tools that specialize in the pull reaming process.
Precihole Machine Tools has spent the last 40 years perfecting the art of drilling and finishing holes in barrels for the firearms and defense industries, tubes and cylinders for the energy and heavy equipment industries, and medical components used in the medical industry for items such as bone screws and rods for internal human use. Nearly 15 years ago, the company partnered with Absolute Machine Tools to represent them in the North American manufacturing market.
Understanding Pull Reaming’s Contribution to the Firearms Industry
Pull reaming gun barrels refers to a machining process used in the industries mentioned above. Reaming is a precision machining operation that involves enlarging and smoothing the internal surface of a gun barrel or large tube to improve the bore’s dimensions, finish, and alignment. The process is accomplished by “pulling” a “reaming” tool through the barrel or tube to achieve the desired results.
Pull reaming helps ensure that the bore has the correct diameter, is straight, and has a smooth ID surface finish. All 3 results are crucial for the proper functioning and accuracy of the products being manufactured. The technique of pull reaming is used by gunsmiths and barrel manufacturers, and is an essential step in the production of high-quality, precise, and reliable firearms.
The Process of Pull Reaming from Start to Finish
Pull Reaming is a precision machining method and may vary slightly depending on the specific firearm, reaming tool design, and equipment used in the process of manufacturing. Manufacturers, such as Precihole Machine Tools in cooperation with Absolute Machine Tools, follow the steps below to ensure that the production of barrels meet the necessary standards for accuracy and performance as set by the industry they are serving:
- Selection of the Proper Reaming Tool: Gunsmiths and other manufacturers choose a reaming tool with the appropriate diameter and design for the specific firearm model and caliber.
- Securing the Barrel before Initiating the Pull Reaming Process: The gun barrel is securely clamped or held in place to prevent movement during the reaming process.
- Insertion of a Reaming Tool: The reaming tool is inserted into the barrel from the chamber end or breech end. The tool is designed to cut away material gradually as it moves through the barrel.
- Pulling the Reaming Tool through the Barrel: The reaming tool is pulled through the barrel using a controlled and precise motion. This can be done manually or with the assistance of specialized machinery designed for barrel reaming.
- Material Removal: As the reaming tool is pulled through, it removes excess material from the interior of the barrel. The process ensures that the bore has the correct diameter, is straight, and has a smooth surface finish.
- Inspecting the Barrel Surface Finish in the ID: After the pull reaming process, the gunsmith or machine operator inspects the barrel to ensure that the desired specifications have been achieved. This may involve measuring the bore diameter and checking for any imperfections.
- Addition Optional Steps: Depending on the specific requirements, additional steps such as honing or lapping may be performed to further refine the bore and improve its finish. Precihole Machine Tools, with the help of Absolute Machine Tools, offers vertical and horizontal honing machines, along with lapping finishing machines that use a slurry of abrasive particles mixed with oil, water, or coolant.
- Cleaning and Final Inspection: The barrel is thoroughly cleaned to remove any debris or residue from the reaming process. A final inspection is conducted to verify that the barrel meets the quality standards and specifications set by the customer.
Absolute Machine Tools and Precihole: Your Deep Hole Drilling and Finishing Partner
Precihole Machine Tools stands at the forefront of delivering high-precision technology for deep hole drilling and finishing. With a partnership spanning over a decade, Absolute Machine Tools has been a proud collaborator with Precihole in their specialized offerings for the defense and firearms sectors. Precihole’s dedication to this specialized area has garnered international acclaim for their innovative approaches and a steadfast commitment to client satisfaction. Their distinctive edge comes from their custom engineering solutions, tailored to meet specific project needs, thereby ensuring project success.
The field of deep hole drilling technology has been a game-changer in precision engineering across various industries. Its unmatched accuracy, surface finish, and hole integrity are crucial in manufacturing intricate parts for essential applications. At Absolute Machine Tools, our extensive knowledge and cutting-edge solutions make us your go-to partner for all deep hole drilling and finishing requirements. Contact us today to discover our full product range and experience our exceptional customer support.