PCI SCEMM’s e-SPINDLE Monitors Cutting Processes in Real Time to Optimize Tool Life and Workpiece Quality
In September, Absolute Machine Tools partner PCI-SCEMM introduced at EMO 2019 a new electro-spindle that integrates sensors and actuators to monitor cutting processes and adjust parameters to optimize tool life and workpiece quality.
The e-SPINDLE was developed in France in collaboration with the Technical Centre for Mechanical Industry (Cetim) and the Aix-en-Provence campus of the French Arts et Métiers engineering and research graduate school.
At the show in Hannover, Germany, PCI demonstrated three e-SPINDLE applications that showcased smart machining technology:
- A toolholder demonstration highlighting real-time monitoring of cutting process variables including force, vibration, and coolant pressure.
- An adaptive drilling application illustrating the benefits of ongoing vibration control.
- A honing toolholder operation showcasing integrated measurement of workpiece diameter to permit continual control of abrasive honing tooling.
“e-SPINDLE technology from PCI is another way Absolute Machine Tools enables its customers to participate fully in smart manufacturing, the IIoT, and Industry 4.0,” said Absolute Machine Tools president Steve Ortner.
Based in Saint-Etienne, France, PCI-SCEMM (a Tongtai company) manufactures CNC machine tools, with a focus on providing manufacturers with:
- Powerful, robust and reliable high-speed machining centers
- Turnkey production line engineering and installation
- Special-built machines
- Process machining engineering
- Reconfiguration and modifications of machines and production line layouts
Absolute Machine Tools works with PCI to provide North American manufacturers with the most technologically advanced engineering solutions available. Our relationship with PCI and Tongtai allows us to provide the most valuable options and cost-effective solutions to boost profitability for even the largest and most demanding end-customers.