MakeTime – Your Idea, Their Machines.
For over 25 years, Absolute Machine Tools has sold, serviced and supported the metalworking industry with the largest inventory of CNC machine tools in the United States. As the leading importer and distributor of CNC equipment, we have built our reputation on solving problems in advanced metalworking. Our product support is second to none, backed by the finest in post-sale service and engineering.
Along with our state-of-the-art machines, the people at Absolute have their finger on the pulse of the metalworking industry. When industry suppliers and buyers started to buzz about a new “distributed manufacturing” marketing place, we wanted to know more.
Enter MakeTime – a new and powerful online platform making waves in the deep end of the machining industry pool.
MakeTime – How it Works
Started in 2014 by Drura Parrish, MakeTime provides a platform for machine shops to bid on available machine capacity for a seller’s CNC project. Shops that know how their machines capabilities will match a project’s quality needs and scheduling requirements can be awarded the contract. Here is how the process works:
- A MakeTime transaction begins when a buyer uploads a project file on the MakeTime website. The buyer includes all relevant information: materials, quantity, and date needed. Special project needs like heat treatment or anodizing are included in the file. The task is assigned to a MakeTime project manager who builds a quote.
- The buyer receives an all-inclusive quote that includes machining, materials and logistics. If the buyer accepts the quote, the project manager moves on to finding a CNC shop for the project.
- MakeTime matches the project with CNC suppliers whose availability matches the time line of the task. MakeTime supports hundreds of CNC manufacturing equipment. CNC lathes to laser cutters, the MakeTime network of American suppliers can meet any production need.
- CNC machine shops that MakeTime vets for fiscal and production quality then complete the seller’s product. A surety bond backs all projects, and MakeTime promises to have any defective products fixed or replaced.
How Can I Sell My Shop Time?
MakeTime has numerous benefits for suppliers of CNC machine time and expertise. Your shop can minimize idle machine time and maximize the utilization of your shop’s equipment. Projects that best fit your machines are connected with your shop. And a MakeTime account is free – no subscription fees, no limits to how much time you can sell.
To sell your shop’s machine time, MakeTime asks that you follow these steps:
- Create a MakeTime account
- Work to be qualified as part of the MakeTime network
- Manage capacity on the MakeTime platform
- Receive job offers based on shop details
- Sit back and let MakeTime arrange materials and logistics
- Get paid. 50% up front, 50% upon delivery and acceptance
To qualify for the MakeTime network, you must pass a background check and your business pass a credit check. A MakeTime account manager will then conduct a qualification survey. In some scenarios, a shop may be placed on probationary status and required to complete three jobs before graduating to a fully qualified MakeTime shop.
The MakeTime network, now four million CNC machine hours strong, is growing each month. To learn more about this innovative marketplace, visit: www.maketime.io.