LICO LNT42S-4S at Work: Turning and Milling 1″ Hex 316 Stainless Steel
An Absolute Machine Tools customer recently took this video of the LICO LNT42S-4S turning and milling 1” hex 316 Stainless Steel out of 12-foot bar stock.
The part is not allowed to get “hot” during machining, so the customer uses Oemeta brand cutting oil, Oemetol 620Y with 1000PSI High Pressure Coolant through the tools wherever possible. The cutting tools being used in this video are ARNO brand and the form tools are from our friends at Greene Tool!
The part process is as follows:
- Pinch Turn on main spindle and overlap with finish turn in sub-spindle (3-tools in the cut (TIC))
- Rough Groove and Pilot Drill in the main spindle (2 TIC)
- Pilot Drill on main spindle
- Bore ID on main spindle
- Threadmill ½-14 NPT
- Bump stop to part length
- Pinch Turn and Rough Ream for square corners (3 TIC)
- OD 5/8-18 Thread and Finish Ream for square corners (2TIC)
- Pickoff on Hex stock and cutoff.
The customer said that this part is being run in a twin turret lathe at 5.3 minutes.